The Amendment Demonstrates the Council’s Support for Local Businesses, Media and Consumers
Digital and Radio Facts: Urban One, Inc.’s executive team expressed thanks today for the Washington, D.C. Council’s amendment that effectively eliminates a proposed advertising tax from the Fiscal 2021 budget. The proposed three-percent sales tax would have been added to TV, radio, print and digital advertising purchases. Urban One joined a consortium of concerned stakeholders and met with D.C. Council members to discuss the catastrophic impact the tax would impose on businesses and consumers who are already reeling from the economic impact of COVID-19.
“We have been partners with the residents of the District for over 40 years and consider ourselves part of the fiber of the city and the DMV. This pandemic has devastated and disrupted all of our lives, and the advertising tax would have been like adding salt in the wound,” said Alfred Liggins, CEO, Urban One, Inc. “Thankfully, our representatives were willing to listen and act. I want to thank the Chairman, Councilmembers McDuffie, R. White, Silverman, and T. White for directly engaging with us over the last several days and for this productive outcome. Hopefully, we will not have to repeat this exercise again regarding an advertising tax, which would cause unnecessary harm to the people we all serve.”
“On behalf of the entire broadcast industry and everybody who has any stake in the D.C. economy, I want to express my most profound gratitude to the Chairman and members of the D.C. City Council for their leadership, hard work, courage, and obvious dedication to this great district,” added Jeff Wilson, Senior Regional Vice President, Radio One. “It’s magnificent to watch elected officials tirelessly listen, reflect, adapt, and act in the true interest of the people they serve. This is a great day in and for the District of Columbia.”
No other state in the nation has this tax.
- 10 Under Appreciated Black Movies
- Hot Spot: These Are The Highest Paid Celebrities On Instagram! [WATCH]
- 15 Of The Best Evening Bags To Your Dinner Party Look (Demo)
- Migos Are Having Legal Issues with Quality Control | The Joe Budden Podcast
- The Joe Budden Podcast Episode 365 | Church Pimps Feat. Benny The Butcher
- TRINIDAD JAMES RETURNS WITH NEW SINGLE & MUSIC VIDEO “UGLY”
- Entertainment Industry leaders launch new association
- Cali 93.9 Launches TODO SE VALE with Angelica Vale!
- Radio Broadcaster Dies after Getting Out of Stalled Van
- Balthazar Share New Track “Halfway”