Radio Facts: Originally posted April 25, 2016 – Actor and singer Tyrese Gibson sits down with Larry King on the Emmy-nominated series “Larry King Now” for a wide-ranging interview where he calls out mainstream radio for only playing white artists. He also expresses his desire to join the “Justice League,” his “disgust” of Donald Trump, the lack of diversity in Hollywood, and the upcoming “Fast & Furious” sequel.
Ahead of the release of his R&B music video trilogy ‘The Black Book’, the actor/singer says mainstream radio only plays R&B if it’s by an artist like Sam Smith or justin timberlake. He says, “If Justin Timberlake, Sam Smith, or Robin Thicke were to sing R&B live specifically, they get played on all formats of radio…but as black artists, black R&B soul artists, we’re specifically being played on urban radio only.” (Clip below)
Continuing the diversity conversation, Tyrese says that the “Fast and Furious” success is in part, due to the film’s multi-ethnic cast appealing to a multi-ethnic audience, saying “I think one of the biggest unspoken, but very spoken realities, is how when you go see this movie there’s somebody on camera that looks like you. There’s somebody that you can identify with. It’s a multiethnic experience.” (Clip below)
When asked about GOP frontrunner Donald Trump, Tyrese does not hold back, saying “I don’t like him. I think he’s pretty disgusting. I just think he has mastered the art of winning battles and losing wars. So, everything is a gimmick. Everything are lies.” The actor even calls Trump’s campaign “the most narcissistic presidential campaign I’ve ever seen in my life.”
The “Fast & Furious 8” star says that after fan art inspired him to campaign for the role in “Justice League.” He reveals, “A fan did this image of me as the ‘Green Lantern’ and I was like ‘Woah, that looks cool,’ and I posted it on my Instagram and it just went crazy.” He also admitted that the photo “pissed the people off a little bit at Warner Brothers because they thought that I had convinced the world that I landed the role, which I didn’t.” However, Tyrese did meet the film’s studio to discuss donning the green suit in Zack Snyder’s epic ensemble flick
- Childish Gambino Cancels Australia Tour
- Blacks Asked to Leave Wild Wing Cafe because White Customer Felt Threatened
- Washington Redskins Change Name To ‘Washington Football Team’
- Board of Governors Approves FAMU Reopening Plan
- DAVE EAST ANNOUNCES DEBUT ALBUM, SURVIVAL, TO BE RELEASED ON NOVEMBER 8 VIA DEF JAM RECORDINGS/MASS APPEAL
- Joe Apologizes to Logic | The Joe Budden Podcast
- The Joe Budden Podcast Episode 364 | Apodogy
- The Undeniable Top 12 Best Black Female Singers of All Time?
- Radio Facts 10 Best Black Radio DJs of All Time
- Lizzo’s Concert for SiriusXM and Pandora