Last Night’s 76th Golden Globe Awards ceremony was marked by memorable speeches, victories by well-loved contenders, and some notable surprises among the night’s top categories.
Green Book took home Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy, a not entirely unexpected win from a film expected to contend strongly for Best Picture at the Academy Awards. Simultaneously, the film fought off some well-loved fellow contenders, including the critical darling The Favourite and the satirical Vice.
More surprising was the announcement of Bohemian Rhapsody as the winner for the Best Motion Picture – Drama category. The film itself had received mixed critical reviews (currently hitting a meager 62% on Rotten Tomatoes) despite being nearly universally praised for Rami Malek’s turn as Freddie Mercury. Nonetheless, it upset a range of strong competition, including Black Panther, BlackKklansman, If Beale Street Could Talk, and A Star Is Born.
The Golden Globes are always looked at carefully in advance of the Academy Awards, but while they often create momentum that may help a film in the eyes of Oscar voters they do not necessarily have an impact on the Best Picture winners. We’ll have to wait and see the impact these wins will ultimately have.
- Childish Gambino Cancels Australia Tour
- Washington Redskins Change Name To ‘Washington Football Team’
- The Ordinary Is Launching A Face Mask (Demo)
- Lizzo’s Concert for SiriusXM and Pandora
- Joe Apologizes to Logic | The Joe Budden Podcast
- Things you didn’t know about mountains
- The Joe Budden Podcast Episode 364 | Apodogy
- Board of Governors Approves FAMU Reopening Plan
- Radio Facts 10 Best Black Radio DJs of All Time
- Richard Aborn Discusses Citizens Crime Commission Of NYC, Reforming Police Training + More